Friday, September 10, 2010

And Away We Go!

We're opening a new chapter in the little guy's hockey life...Limited Travel Hockey!!!! It's basically what some might call a "house league" in that we only play teams from our rink system. It includes five different rinks and we'll travel as far as 50 miles from home. The closest rink is actually 5 minutes from my house! Looking forward to those games!

Sean is absolutely thrilled with the prospect of playing in different "cities". He may be on a road trip "just like the big guys" he says. He also reported that he'll need to "listen to music to get pumped up for the games...just like the big guys do." We've decided to make a mix CD for this purpose. I only hope it lasts as long as the trip to Atlantic City.

I'm also getting "pumped up" for this new experience. I've heard these games are a whole different ballgame so to speak. One of our team mates last season got picked up to play a game with the house team (he's a goalie and they needed one badly). His mom said that the other mom's actually WATCH the game! LoL! I watch the games too but it's far less competitive at the mini mite level apparently. These moms were yelling, cheering and shouting when there was a bad call. I can hardly wait!

Jack is thrilled to be able to take his place with the other hockey dads standing on the top row of bleachers at the rink. That way he shout encouragement (I hope) to our boy and get a really good view of the action.

The down side to this will be my schedule. I work every other weekend and I HATE to miss a game! The 50 mile travel will also be pretty yucky when you consider a 7 am start time. Ugh! But there's always the LARGE travel mug of coffee to get me through.

I took Sean to the rink for stick time this week to shake the cobwebs off his skates and he looked like he never left the ice. He hasn't skated in about 2 months and really had no problem picking up where he left off.

This is going to be a great season for him and for me. It will be a growing experience for both of us. I can't wait!

No comments: