Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flyers Send Capitals Packing

What a game! What a game! I can't believe how entertaining this game was to watch! I was on the edge of my seat literally, for most of the game and so was the rest of the Wachovia Center audience.

This was our long-awaited home opener. It felt like a playoff game. The live music outside, the free orange T-shirts (featuring our tagline for this season "Relentless") and the somewhat warm weather lead you to believe it was playoff time! The fans were rowdy and I loved it! In fact, I was so pumped for the game I neglected to charge my camera battery or even bring the camera! So, alas, no pictures for this entry but believe it that there WILL be pics for Thursday night's contest versus the Pittsburgh Penguins (I know, I know...the Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins; it still burns coming off my tongue!).

To the action.

A scoreless first period was very entertaining to watch and was only a prelude to the storm that was coming. The second period exploded with Varlamov giving up 4 goals and earning himself a seat on the bench. The Caps answered by racking up three. The third period was racked with a flurry of shots on goal on both ends of the ice. The game went into overtime with a score of 5-5. With little more than a minute left in the sudden death overtime birthday boy, Danny Briere, knocked in the game winner! The place went wild! In the end, Emery halted 36 shots, Richards scored a hat trick and the Washington Capitals went home without a win. They still got a point, but the Flyers have the best record in the NHL!

No comments: