Monday, November 2, 2009

God, Save Me From the Peanut Butter Cups....

...and the chocolate bars and evertyhing else in my hockey boy's candy bag...

Haven't blogged in a bit but we've been super busy. On a side note, I've been out of work for several weeks with a back injury so the last several games I've been to have been viewed though a drug induced fog or while in severe pain so the details are hazy. I will just say this...I hope we can start to get it together soon.

A full month into the regular season now and the Flyers have seemed like they were practicing for a role in Jeckyll and Hyde. We never know which team is going to show up. Is it going to be the Coburn who apparently has a hole in his stick because he can't catch a puck with it, or the two goal scoring Coburn from Saturday's game? Is it going to be Shut Out Razor or Ray what-the-hell-is-up-with-giving-up-4-goals-to-Anaheim? I'm hoping with a tighter schedule they'll be able to get some kind of momentum going.

We had another busy sports weekend this past weekend. Besides the World Series coming to town (Let's Go Phils!) and the Eagles playing the NY Giants on Sunday, the Flyers played host to the Carolina Hurricanes. It was a penalty-ridden game with total minutes in the Sin Bin being 68 minutes! Luckily most of those were in the third period and I was glad to see Carcillo showing a lot of restraint this game considering some of the Carolina trash talking was observed before the game even started! I saw one of the Hurricanes players talking trash to Carcillo during the pregame warm up! Wow! What a contest! Speaking of contests, they held a Halloween costume contest during the intermissions. There were several blind refs out there...not just the ones on the ice! Sean wore his hockey jersey and pants and blacked out a couple of teeth and got himself a black eye. Yeah, he fit right in with our Fly Guys! He had had a game earlier that morning...um, yeah, earlier than the one last weekend! 7:00AM start time! Ugh!

All I can say about my son's hockey performance thus far, is that I'm glad we're not on any kind of goal reward system. I don't believe in it firstly and secondly we'd go broke rewarding him! FOUR goals Saturday! He's on track for and 80 goal season! Watch your back, Great One! This kid's on a roll! This leads me into my next discussion. We don't push Sean to play hockey but I was a little surprised when I asked him if he wanted to play baseball next spring. My usually loving and level-headed husband said, "he's already going to be playing hockey." When I explained to him that baseball didn't start until hockey was done and that he should take a break from hockey for a season, Jack replied, "oh, yeah, then he'll be behind all the other kids." I was a little perplexed by that comment. I felt like it was a little pushy. Especially since I was reading the USA Hockey material that came in on the weekend. It discussed a little about the American Development Model. Hmm...interesting thoughts. But I digress yet again...

Moving on, tonight it's just me and the little guy going to see the Flyers play Tampa Bay. Hoping for a "W"!!!!!!

No comments: